Monday, February 11, 2008

Kelsey's Guilty of Blatant Rip-off


Kelsey's restaurants have launched a TV campaign using the Cheers theme song ("Where everybody knows your name"). Using popular, iconic music for TV spots is nothing new (and can be quite successful - see Nike), but this crosses the line a bit. Kelsey's is a restaurant, and Cheers was a bar. They didn't serve food at Cheers as far as I can remember (and I think I saw every episode).

But for me the main problem is they're trying to steal style. It's a rip-off of a successful brand association. I assume they have the rights to use the song, but why would they? There's no originality in the move, and frankly, it offends me a bit as a fan of the sitcom. Don't steal mojo - create your own. Las Vegas has a new tag line. Imagine if you saw a TV spot that finished off with "What happens in St. Louis stays in St. Louis."

Have your say: Kelsey's using Cheers theme song. Blatant rip-off or deft marketing tactic?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the most blatant ripoffs of all time!!

Cheers is one of my all-time favourite TV shows. I have the DVD's of Seasons 1 & 2. Every single time I watch an episode, even though I've heard it a million times before, I listen to the theme song in its entirety.

When the Kelseys commercial comes on, I am so offended I quickly change the channel.

Derek Atkins