Sunday, March 8, 2009

Don't sell me a product, sell me a benefit!

You would think that goes without saying, but I see so many case of companies that use marketing programs to sell a product, without telling me why I should buy said product!

(SURPRISE QUIZ: Does your web site home page talk about how long the company has been in business, where it's located, and what it does? I don't care! Tell me why you matter to me!)

Case in point: I was at Shell getting gas and a car wash yesterday. I went in to pay and the cashier asked if I wanted to upgrade the basic wash to a deluxe wash. Somewhat impressed by the attempt at an up-sell, I played along...


Cashier: "Would you like the tri-colour deluxe wash for an extra $2?"

Me: "No thank you."

Cashier: "It's a small price to pay for a better wash." (getting there...)

Me: "Why is it better?"

Cashier: "It's a 'tri-colour' wash."

Me: "What does the 'tri-colour' do?"

Cashier: "I'm not sure. But it's three colours."


SO CLOSE!!

I passed on the upgrade.

With the signage on the counter and the (failed) attempt by the cashier, it was obviously a deliberate marketing campaign that the store and/or company was running. But the most important factor was missing - the reason for buying!

Sell the benefits! Sell the benefits! Sell the benefits!

1 comment:

carmilevy said...

Well said. Sounds like an inadequate/non-existent training program, too.

Time and again, we see large organizations spend major amounts of money on promotional campaigns like this, then hand off execution to minimum wage-earning front-line employees with neither the training nor the motivation to seal the deal.

I'm still looking for a four-colour wash, frankly.

:)